Saturday, November 2, 2013

We’ll leave the lights on for you

My parents took me to a new hotel this week. I would like to express my dissatisfaction with my stay.

You know that you’re not having a good time when you actually learn to say a new word just to describe how bad a time you’re having. This hotel taught me to say “No” clearly and emphatically. That didn’t do me a whole lot of good, though, since every objection I raised was ignored by the hotel staff.

I don’t think my standards are extravagantly high. I’m not expecting the Waldorf Astoria. But I’ve had far nicer stays at Fairfield Inns than at this “Children’s Hospital.” I really hope this one isn’t representative of the chain.

Since I wasn’t allowed to leave my bed, let alone leave the room or the floor, I’m not sure the location mattered much. I understand that there were numerous tourist attractions nearby. That must be nice for someone.

I should describe the room, I suppose, since that’s basically all I saw. One bed plopped in the middle of the room, one chair, and one sort of mattress on a ledge by the window. I took the bed. There were several small tables, almost no storage space for luggage, and a whole lot of buttons that I wasn’t allowed to push. Hard-surface flooring replaced the usual hotel carpet.

Room service was a bright spot, once they finally decided I could eat. The special goldfish-shaped crackers that the hotel chef made just for me were amazing, and were delivered in a neat crinkly bag. The saline drip was a new experience, and not something you can get just anywhere.

The television was tiny. I mostly watched YouTube videos on an ipod instead. Thank God for the in-room wifi.

There was no pool.

The two best words to describe the hotel staff: “attentive” and “intrusive.” Respect for my personal space was a little lacking, though I’m used to that since I’m still in diapers. But if they don’t even let the guests sleep, they should expect some grumpiness. Ok, a lot of grumpiness. Because it turns out that wearing a loud nebulizer mask and a hyperactive blood pressure cuff for the entire night is not as sleep-inducing as a nice pacifier. Or bedside singing. Or construction equipment.

The hotel said we had a private room. As if. Every hotel room we’ve ever had has been more private than this one.

Bottom line: I don’t plan to return. And as I understand it, nobody really wants to. Two stars, up from one because of the nurse, Blake, who juggled for me. That was cool.

3 comments:

L&M said...

From David’s parents: In all seriousness, thank you to Boston Children’s Hospital. Nobody wants to have to bring their child to the ER in the middle of the night or have their child admitted to the ICU. It’s scary. It was comforting to see a large team of professionals focused immediately and thoroughly on treating David and getting him better, and overall they tried to keep us in the loop and answer our questions. Communication should have been better at times, but they got the most important things right.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, B. spent some time there, and she was so unhappy with it she didn't even stay the night but went home before dawn. Not very restful. Glad you're not there, and I hope you don't go back soon.

Thanks,
-E.

Ir said...

Very glad you're all ok.

Post a Comment